Tuesday, February 17, 2009

The Beginning

OK, so here's the deal -- I somehow got myself talked into training for a triathlon. The Westchester Triathlon on September 27, to be exact. I'm not a runner. In fact, I hate running. And my last real bike rides were in college on the Huffy I got when I was about 12. (That bike also had a Barbie bell, if I'm remembering correctly, and got stolen at some point, which could have happily marked the end of my bike riding career if it weren't for this). At least I know how to swim and I actually like to do it. So, this is going to be an interesting experience.

Now that I've decided to do it, the next decision is how to train for the big day. I got the book "Your First Triathlon" by Joel Friel, which includes a 12-week training program. My current plan is to start with this plan and then train either with JackRabbit (JR) training or Team-In-Training (TNT). Either would be another 12 weeks of training before the triathon but would be more disciplined than what I think I can accomplish on my own. JR is more personal cost and TNT is a lot of fund-raising. I'm currently leaning toward JR. Full disclosure: I went on Saturday to JR and bought new running shoes and talked with them about their training program. I'm planning on going to a TNT meeting next week, which might change everything. The open registration for the tri is on March 3, so I really need to decide how I'm going to train sooner rather than later so that if needed I can get my own registration.

My goal for this blog is keep a log of my exercise routine and accomplishments so that I can have something to look back on once I've crossed the finish line. Realistically I know that I won't post everyday, but ideally I'd hope that I can write even a sentence or two a few times a week.

1 comment:

  1. So, could you provide an abbreviated version of what you will be expected to do in this event? I am putting myself on your cheering section. How will anyone be able to keep up with you?

    ReplyDelete