Monday, August 17, 2009

Morning Brick

Yesterday we drove up to the cottage and I didn't get a real workout in. I didn't get up early enough before leaving to go running. I was feeling a little bit bad about that, but I did carry a lot of stuff yesterday. And I went for a walk along the beach with my mom and my aunt, followed by a rousing game of Scrabble, so I definitely got my blood pumping even though I didn't really do cardio.

This morning I woke up early and donned my wetsuit. I had only gotten my feet wet yesterday and I knew that the water would be cold, but it was totally different to get all the way in. The lake is really pretty shallow for quite a ways out. The deepest I could get was chest-high, which is fine for swimming. I got in and walked out for a while and then swam back to shore to try to get acclimated to the water temperature.

Once I got back to shore, I ran back into the water, did some dolphins, and started my swim. The first two minutes were really rough. I think what happened was that I was swimming too fast. Once I realized what I was doing, I slowed down a bit and settled into a rhythm, and the swimming got much more enjoyable and I actually probably ended up swimming faster once I just relaxed.

I decided that I would swim for 10 minutes in one direction before turning around and swimming back. I wasn't really sure how long that would be distance-wise, but I figured it would be a good start. Sighting on the swim out was really easy. There were two trees on a little point that were extremely easy to see. Swimming back to the cottage was not as easy. It was surprising because I was swimming with the current, but there was nothing to sight off of. And I was breathing on the left so I could keep the shore in sight, so it wasn't as comfortable in general. Although I'm sure it's good practice.

When I got out of the water, I wanted to go for a quick run because after the swim at Staten Island I really didn't want to run to transition, so I thought that I should practice. I had thought that I would only run for 5 minutes, but I wasn't feeling too tired, so I kept going.

While I was running, I reached the spot where I think that I swam to at about 3:00 minutes, so in total, I think that I swam about 0.6 miles. I ended up running for 10 minutes, which I'm assuming was about a mile. I just ran barefoot along the beach. I might bring my shoes down to the beach another day this week, but I actually think the barefoot running was probably easier.

Swimming:
0.6 miles in 21:07 (35:00 pace)
Calories: 229
Max HR: 166
Average HR: 157

Running:
1.0 mile in 10:00 (putting the pace seems redundant)
Calories: 131
Max HR: 182
Average HR: 174

1 comment:

  1. I'm super-jealous of your open water swim practice! I need to find a lake or something nearby to swim in before the race.

    Nice job!

    ReplyDelete