Friday, September 18, 2009

Not Quite The Distance

This morning I got up and had two pieces of bread with peanut butter for breakfast. I knew that wasn't going to be enough for the day of the triathlon, but I was really trying to see how close I could eat that and go swimming as well as to see how long it would carry me through. I wore my full race day gear, including HR monitor, tri top and shorts, wetsuit, and two swim caps. I even wore my hair the same way that I plan on wearing it on race day, to make sure it all stays put when I take my swim caps off my head.

I had wanted to get in the pool earlier than Laura, so I got to the pool at about 6:50 and got all suited up. I was thinking that I'd try to swim the whole distance of the triathlon today and since I know that the swim course seems like the hardest to actually measure, I decided I'd swim 0.94 miles if possible. Of course, it didn't quite work out that way. Instead I did a quick 200 warm-up and then started just swimming laps back and forth. I had swum half of the distance that I was aiming for today (825 yards/0.47 miles) and I stopped for a second to check the time and to press my goggles on more securely. I also must have rubbed my eye, because I bumped my contact and had to actually get out of the pool to go look in the mirror to make sure everything was okay.

I got back in and started swimming again, did one lap, and then Laura appeared. We talked for a few minutes and then we both started swimming. By this point the pool was getting really quite crowded and I think I just wasn't in the mood anymore. I had sort-of lost my rhythm. I also was getting hungry, so I clearly need to eat a lot more calories before the actual race. I'm wondering if maybe I can try to drink some calories too in the form of one of those Odwalla Protein Drinks. I ended up swimming another 425 yards (.24 miles) and then saying that I was done with the pool.

In total, these are the stats for today:
200 yards / 3:34
825 yards / 17:07
425 yards / 7:01

Total swimming: 1450 yards (0.82 miles) in 27:43 (33:38 pace).

Calories: 304
Maximum HR: 172
Average HR: 156

Holy cow! What a heart rate. I knew I was just taking it slow and easy and not trying to rush, but was I even working out? Compared to some of my running heart rates, this looks like I was sitting on the couch watching TV, not swimming. Obviously, that's not really the case, and I'm sure the adrenaline of race day will increase this, but I really want to try and stay relaxed like I was today in the water. I think I'm a much better swimmer like this than I am when I'm really pushing it as I think my form tends to lose something in the quest to swim faster and faster.

No comments:

Post a Comment