Tuesday, September 8, 2009

You're Asleep Standing Up

This morning I dragged myself out of bed to head off to the Terrier run. Normally I walk the entire way there as a bit of a warm-up, but this morning I literally needed to warm up myself, so I jogged the rest of the way there once I got into the park. Since I had allotted myself enough time to walk the whole way there, I was the first person to arrive and was ten minutes early. I did some stretching and people started showing up just about a minute later.

After doing some stretches, I was just standing leaning against the railing and the guy next to me looked at me and said, "You're asleep standing up." I couldn't really argue with him. I was wishing I was back in my nice warm bed and I also wasn't really paying attention to anything anyone else was saying at that point. However, his comment was enough to snap me out of it. Spencer then told us that we would have a really fun workout today (he used the word fun three times), but that we should head over to do the strides first.

We did our normal strides workout and then ran over to the Start. Spencer still didn't tell us before we left for the run over there what this so-called "fun" workout would be. A couple people commented that it probably wasn't going to be that fun since he wasn't saying anything. I had also checked the website before leaving and it wasn't posted there, so I really had no clue as to what we'd be doing.

Once we got to the start, he said that people in the Sprint/Olympic group would be running for 1:30 out and 1:30 back at 90% effort. We were supposed to make sure that we got back in the same amount of time that it took us to get there. The fun part was that because we would all be running for three minutes each time, we would all start together and all finish together, even though some people might go further distances in the three minutes. In between each interval, we would have a 2 minute rest period, where we were supposed to jog in place, but everyone pretty much walked around instead. We did 6 intervals, so it was a fairly short workout.

I certainly didn't start out as the slowest person in my group, but I ended up that way since the slower people quit at some point and didn't finish the workout. I'm glad to say that I stuck with it the whole time.

My stats for jogging to the meeting point and the run to the start is 1.9 miles in 18:10 (9:33 pace). The stats for the intervals is 2.4 miles in 18:00 (7:30 pace). Total running (not including strides): 4.3 miles in 36:10 minutes (8:24 pace). When I showed the stats to Drew, he commented that I was getting pretty fast. I told him that it's a lot easier to run faster for 3 minutes than it is for an hour or so, but I am going to say that I am pretty happy with today's effort and the results!

No comments:

Post a Comment