Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Out For A Joy Ride With Marilyn

This morning I woke up on my own at 5:17. When I realized that I didn't have to be awake then, I rolled over and slept happily until almost 8:00. It was quite a treat to have a morning to sleep in and not be up early! Even though that meant that I would have to workout after work, it was totally worth it.

Today at work I noticed that my quads were a little tired and sore. Nothing major, just something I noticed. It seemed a little strange to me that running would have made my quads tired, but I'm guessing that's mostly because in the past I've mostly had shin and heel pain, so it have it somewhere new was a surprise.

While at work today, I got an e-mail from Terrier saying that if we were interested in Ironman Switzerland, we should sign up soon because they are going to race it as a team and training will start after the first of the year. As crazy as it is to say, I actually didn't just delete the e-mail. I'm actually going to give this some thought before just automatically deciding that it is a crazy idea (which, let's face it, you have to be crazy to do one). The race is in August of 2010, so I'd have a year to get ready for it. I have no idea if it's a horrible idea or not, but I'm going to keep thinking about it and weighing my options. I know it would take a lot of time and dedication to get to the finish line, but I also think it would be an amazing and rewarding experience.

After finishing work today, I walked home (and happened to catch Paul McCartney playing live outside at The Late Show, which was pretty awesome!) and got ready for my bike ride. I had been thinking that I didn't want to do anything too hard because obviously my quads were tired already and I have the Terrier brick in the morning. I thought that I would go for a ride up the Westside path since I will be riding in the park in the morning.

When I was getting ready, I decided that I would try out some of the new socks that Drew's mom and dad sent to me. They are actually really nice socks, I think. They're Ironman brand (coincidence?), but the funny thing about them is that at the top of the socks, they have Marilyn Monroe's head. I'm not really sure what the appeal to triathletes would be to have Marilyn on your socks, but I thought they were pretty comfy, so I'm always glad to have more socks (makes the time between loads of laundry longer!).

Setting out, it quickly became apparent that this would not be a serious biking day and would be more of a relaxed ride. The path was packed. I was thinking that when I got further north there would be less traffic. Wrong. There were tons of families out having B-B-Q's (which smelled delicious) and lots of kids running around. I only had to slam on my brakes 5 separate times to narrowly avoid collisions with kids! But, luckily, everything was fine.

I had a really nice ride up to the base of the George Washington Bridge. I didn't think that my legs would be very happy with me going up the three hills, so I decided to just turn around and head back home when I got to that point. If anything, it was busier on the path on the way home, so I didn't sweat it when I got home to see these results on the bike computer:

Total Time: 1:08:56
Total Distance: 14.24
Average: 12.39 MPH

"Real" riding (time not spent traveling to/from the path): 58:56
Distance: 13.04
Average: 13.28 MPH

No comments:

Post a Comment