Saturday, July 18, 2009

Wash, Rinse, Repeat

Yesterday was an unplanned rest day. Drew and I had a date planned for Thursday night. He ended up working late, so we got a late start going out. We ended up staying out way too late. As a result, I couldn't drag myself out of bed in time to get a workout in and then after work I was beat.

This morning I had set my alarm for 6 so that I could get a good bike ride in before my mom came to visit for the next few days. Of course, I did not get up at 6:00. Drew was too cuddly for me to get out of bed. Finally, around 7 he said that he would stop snuggling and I had to get up. It had rained pretty hard overnight, so the roads were still all wet, especially in the park where there isn't any traffic.

I had considered a couple of options for workouts today. I had thought that maybe I would do the short loops in the park, but before I left I realized that I need to get ready for Claire's climb and there is only one way to do that. Hill repeats. This was my first time with these things. I'm not really sure how many you have to do for it to qualify as a hill repeat session. At first I thought that maybe four was a good number, but that seemed like it wasn't a whole lot, so I decided that five sounded like better number.

The first one wasn't too bad. Even the second, third, and fourth ones didn't make me want to poke my eyes out. On the fifth one I was questioning why I had decided that five was a good number. My quads were definitely ready to head home by the time I got to the top of the hill the fifth time. And they weren't too happy about the extra couple of hills I had to climb on the way home.

I ended up riding for a total of 1:01:01 and went 13.17 miles (12.95 MPH average). I'm super impressed with that MPH average (although it doesn't look like much) considering the fact that it includes time to and from the park as well as a hill workout! Not too shabby, I think.

Coming home, both my bike and I needed a shower - although my bike had to settle for a wipe down. I wish that there was a way to snap my fingers and get my bike clean, but I haven't figured that one out yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment