Friday, May 15, 2009

So That's What My Shoulders Look Like?

Last night I didn't make it to the yoga class at the gym. I was hoping that even if I hurried I would be able to make it in time, but because of work, it just wasn't possible. It's the first time in months that I have had to stay late at work, which was a little weird for me to get home late. I considered doing my yoga DVD at home, but I decided that I was content to watch a little bit of TV and catch up on my DVR'd shows.

I then headed over to Drew's house for the night. I made sure to set my alarm so that I would force myself to get up and go to the gym this morning. Originally, I had been thinking that I would go swimming, but then I realized that I really like going to the gym with Drew and I shouldn't pass up an opportunity to do so. It is still amazing to me that I set my alarm for 6 am and I didn't get out of bed until 6:40. I am such a lazy bum in the mornings, which means that I don't get to spend quite as long as I would like to at the gym.

Anyhow, after some prodding from Drew, I dragged myself out of bed and got ready for the gym. We started off in the weight room. This was the workout:

Seated Bent-Arm Lat Pull-Down: 3 sets of 10 reps each at 60 pounds
Standing Straight-Arm Pull Down: 3 sets of 10 reps each at 30 pounds
Wall Sit: 45 seconds
High Cable Row: 1 set of 10 reps at 60 pounds, 1 set of 10 reps at 70 pounds, 1 set of 10 reps at 80 pounds
Push-Ups: 1 set of 5, 1 set of 7, 1 set of 9
Upright Row: 1 set of 10 at 20 pounds, 1 set of 10 at 30 pounds, 1 set of 10 at 35 pounds
Dumbbell Curls: 2 sets of 10 reps each at 15 pounds, 1 set of 5 reps at 15 pounds

I felt pretty good about the workout in general. I don't really like wall sits at all, but I hung in there for the whole 45 seconds, so I felt good about that. I also didn't really understand why we were doing push-ups if it was a "pull day", but when I asked Drew, there was some mumbling about it being a counter-move. I would just like to mention that at about this time last year, I could barely do one real push-up (not the knee kind, the real kind). I'm quite proud of myself that I managed to do 21 in total today!

When we were doing the upright rows, we did them in front of the mirror, and I was really surprised at how muscular my shoulders are looking. Most of the time when I'm doing my exercises, I'm either not in front of a mirror of some sort-of equipment is blocking my view, so I was really surprised (and pleased) with the results of the past few months! I also know that I sort-of quit at the end of the dumbbell curls, but Drew quit on his last set too, so I didn't feel so bad just giving up myself after that.

We then headed downstairs to the cardio area. I decided that I would try to keep going slow and do another half-mile of running again today. Today I walked for 5 minutes (0.32 miles) at 4.0 speed before running for 0.50 miles. I increased the speed on the run today up to 7.0, so I completed the half-mile in 4:20. I then spent the rest of the time walking at 4.2 speed at 4.5 incline. I spent a total of 20 minutes on the treadmill and went a total distance of 1.56 miles.

I then headed over to the stretching area and finished up with some stretches and crunches. All of the time spent in the boy area/weight room today really made my hands a little sore (it looks like I'm starting to get little calluses on my hands). Drew suggested that I could get myself some weight-lifting gloves, but that seems a little silly to me. I'd rather get some fancy lotion to keep them soft.

No comments:

Post a Comment